1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If a person cannot spell, would you still sell birds to them??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tanichca, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I am trying very hard to sell one of my breeding roosters, and so far there has only been one person on CL willing to buy. This person cannot spell to save his proverbial life! Here is a sample:
    "If ur goin to kill um I would like it if u could hand um off if possible im lil short on cash"

Also, I am asking $20 for him, but this dude wants this roo for free. If I don't sell him, I will have to cull him out (his hen died so I can't breed him anymore) but I don't want him to give him away for free to someone who may not be educated in the way of chickens. So, basically, what would you people do in this situation?

P.S I would put him on BYC for auction, but I'm not old enough to. [​IMG]

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    aw! how sad! my boyfriend cannot spell to save his life but he is smart and takes very good care of our animals. I think he may have some kind of learning disability like dyslexia but he makes up for i with creativity. He is probably the most responsible person i have ever met.
    If i were you i would meet the person or email a little more and get a feel on what theyre saying, not how theyre spelling it.

3. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    That almost looks like text shorthand (what I call Textonics), rather than misspelling. Just too lazy to write full words.

I would wait a week or so if you can to see if someone else is willing to take him. If not, just lower the price a bit.

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Ive been emailing him, and he says he wants it as a present for his brother.

ETA I brought the price down to $15, but I at least want the cost of feed out of him.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. chickieboy

chickieboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    broken bow
    he/she can spell that how they spell on a cell phone cuz i do that to

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:Yah, but this is from email. (gmail lets you see when people are online, so I know)
    Personally, I don't think that's much of an excuse. If he isn't intelligent enough to spell right, how am I to know that he is intelligent enough to, say, make sure that the roosters comb is protected or make sure that there aren't any fights?

7. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    If he wants him for free I might suspect that he is just looking for a free meal.....I know people that go on craigslist, pick up all the free roosters and "give them a good home" IN THEIR STOMACH!
    -Good luck

8. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:I wonder if it is a younger person? it would explain why they have no money and why they write that way. maybe just explain that you would feel more comfortable seeing the home and knowing the the brother actually wants it rather than using it as a gift...

9. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    He won't get much of a meal... this is a bantam dutch cock, about a pound heavy. [​IMG] I would love to see him try to eat it though!

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I don't know that the spelling alone would necessarily put me off. There are lots of intelligent, responsible people out there who can't spell (although there are probably more out there who can't spell because they just aren't that bright or are too lazy to put in the effort to put together a proper sentence with proper spelling). However, I don't know that I would give him away for free. This person may be a little short on cash, but if they're too hard off to make a lower offer rather than asking you to just give the bird to them for free then you have to wonder if they can afford to feed a rooster that isn't going to be laying any eggs for them.

ETA: I definitely wouldn't do it if he's just going to turn around and give the rooster to someone else, even if that someone is his brother. I have an issue with people giving live animals as gifts. Without speaking directly to the brother yourself, you have no idea if he even wants this rooster or if he is capable of caring for him properly.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by