If a white rooster has some red on back & wings is he dom. white?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sparklee, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Grandparents: Unknown but likely some sort of Barred Rocks or ? Mostly Barred Rocks though.

Parents were from the same flock, but I have no idea if they were siblings: Mother was pure white bird that looks like a White Rock and father was a Barred Rock Rooster.

My rooster is huge and white with a tiny bit of red on his back and adjacent parts of his wings.

Is there a genetic abbreviation for this feathering pattern? If so, what is it.

Is there any chance he is dominant for white? And what's the abbreviation for that? (my genetics book doesn't have a long list and I can't find one online that I can understand yet)

I'm trying to figure out if he will make white babies or not because I enjoy plucking lighter birds. If he's dominant for white, that will cover all other colors, right? But that little smidge of red feathers makes me think he can't possibly be dominant, but maybe he's dominant and just didn't manage to get all the red covered by the white.

Thank you for helping me to learn some genetics. Learning it piecemeal like this helps it stick with me as opposed to just reading the book again.

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Dominant White covers only black areas of plumage and allowds Golden and Mahogany (Red) to "leak".If you wont all white bird,you have to replace Golden with Silver and eliminate Mahogany.Recesive White covers all but you need 2 copies of the gene. You roo is Dominant White and few red feathers will not bother me but if him and hens are not pure for that (one copy of gene ) they can produce some not whitw babies

3. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:Great! Thanks. He's my best bet right now. A few red feathers don't matter much and a few other off colors won't be a big deal as long as most will not have the dreaded black. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by