if an ark was 3ft².........what would its dimensions be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spish, Sep 24, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok when it comes to maths im really not that good...
    anyhow ive been told i need to build an ark/tractor, with a run that is 3ft wide and 6ft long, and a 'house' that is 3ft²...so what would the dimmensions of the house be please? is that 3ft long by 3ft wide......?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    3x3 would be correct I believe.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wouldn't 3 feet x 3 feet = 9 square feet? So yeah, 3 x 3. But.... how many chickens are you housing?

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so 3ftx3ft is correct? its for a group of 6 chabos........
    the only thing i dont know is how high to make it....i know their tails get big but i dont know HOW big...

5. ondreeuh

ondreeuh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Quote:By 3 ft2 I assume they mean "three feet squared" (3x3) and not "three square feet." They just did the notation incorrectly.

For 6 chickens, 9 sq ft will be too small. I have a tractor that is about 3x6 with a house that is about 3x3 and two hens fit comfortably. Three would be crowded. If you have tiny bantams you could do more, but I would look for a bigger plan.

Do you normally use metric? For 6 chickens I would make a coop 1m x 2 m, and a run that's 2m x 3m.

2/3 m height is high enough for them to move around comfortably.

6. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Quote:You want the interior height to be easily accessable to you, for cleaning, repairs. You also need to consider roosting and nesting boxes.

As far as height off the ground, that would be your choice. My coop is a converted rabbit hutch, so it's 3 feet high.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:By 3 ft2 I assume they mean "three feet squared" (3x3) and not "three square feet." They just did the notation incorrectly.

For 6 chickens, 9 sq ft will be too small. I have a tractor that is about 3x6 with a house that is about 3x3 and two hens fit comfortably. Three would be crowded. If you have tiny bantams you could do more, but I would look for a bigger plan.

Do you normally use metric? For 6 chickens I would make a coop 1m x 2 m, and a run that's 2m x 3m.

2/3 m height is high enough for them to move around comfortably.

chabos are a japanese bantam breed [​IMG]

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:You want the interior height to be easily accessable to you, for cleaning, repairs. You also need to consider roosting and nesting boxes.

As far as height off the ground, that would be your choice. My coop is a converted rabbit hutch, so it's 3 feet high.

i was thinking of doing a rabbit hutch conversion (have here on e of those large hutches on legs with a run underneath and too the side but thought it may be a tad too small....its 91 high, 121 long and about 60 wide so yeah, a bit small..

9. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Yep, that would mean 9 square feet, 3'x3'. Personally for a tractor-house I think that would be fine. Height is up to you. Just remember the higher you go, the heavier it will be.

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I recently built an ark with the coop 3x5 (15 sq ft of floor) and the run is 5x5. I utilized 3' welded wire for the fencing of the sides. The run portion is 3' high while the coop is 18" high resulting in 4 1/2' total heighth. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by