If an egg is "developing" will the egg float

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 007Dawn, Oct 20, 2009.

1. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    like it would if the egg was bad? Anyone?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I would think it would, because as it develops, the air cell grows, which would make it more buoyant (sp?); however, you sure don't want to drop a developing egg into water. That would not be good for it to submerge it.

3. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Perfect! thank you! Someone else agreed with you so to the kitchen I go!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I agree with Wynette, NOT a good idea.

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    If you weren't interested in hatching it and just wanted to avoid the ICK! factor of opening an egg with a sorta-chick in it, it wouldn't be a bad idea, though, no?

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Correct. If it floats, handle it carefully and toss it. If it just stands up off the bottom, use it right away. It it lies on it's side, it's fine.

The confusion stems from the usage of "developing" in the title, that implies hatching. A better choice would have been "fresh or old".

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  7. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009

None of my girls are broody so they were some eggs that were out in the back in an area we have never seen them lay before so we have no idea how old they are. They don't smell but if they are not sitting on them and turning them and are "older" eggs they won't hatch to start with right?

Or ...I know stupid....but they will still start to develop if not being sat on regularly right?

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV

None of my girls are broody so they were some eggs that were out in the back in an area we have never seen them lay before so we have no idea how old they are. They don't smell but if they are not sitting on them and turning them and are "older" eggs they won't hatch to start with right?

Or ...I know stupid....but they will still start to develop if not being sat on regularly right?

Fertile eggs do not develop unless you have started the incubation process by either using a Broody hen or an incubator. You have to have the correct temp and humidity in either case for development.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by