If chickens eat rye grass seed...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jubilee1111, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I planted winter Rye today because we finally got some rain. If the chickens eat the seed, will some of it that is pooped out still be viable? I know a lot of it will be ground in digestion but can some of it make it through unharmed?

This is spread out over 3 acres. In the past I have always had seriously lush grass in spite of them eating a ton of the seed.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think everything that passes through the gizzard - and that should be everything they eat - is ground to paste so I don't think any that passes through is viable. Your field may have been made lush due to some duck fertilizer! [​IMG]

3. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I didn't think much would make it through but was optimistic. Thanks for your feedback. But, no, LOL, the nice grass was probably just my intense top-seeding and chickens/dogs/deer free ranging on it all year [​IMG] I only have Whistlers visit and they stick to the tops of the buildings.

4. All4MrD8a

All4MrD8a Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    I disagree. A large minority of these seeds do sprout. That's how plants are spread. Birds eat and fly off. They deficate in a different area and spread those weeds/wild flowers to a different location.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by