If had to give up my rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PAH111, Jul 27, 2011.

1. PAH111

PAH111 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have two Mille Fleur bantam roosters (I call them my mini Fleurs) and I was wondering:

Since I might end up having to separate them if they end up fighting each other, I have two options. one being I save up for a new coop, make/buy different water containers, etc... and buy another bantam hen for my rooster. OR, I can give him away to one of my friends, who I check up on and make sure he's getting the love and care he needs.

But I really don't want to give up one of my roosters...these are pet chickens, not layers or anything. Does it make a difference if they were raised together?

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Being raised together one will assume the dominant role,and the other should be find as long as the ruler isn't a cruel one!

I have read it is not a good idea to intro a new roo to a flock with a roo,but being raised together they should be OK. If they each get their own flock/coop area you might get some crowing back and forth.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How many hens are involved?? If there aren't any hens, then that's an advantage - no females to fight over. If there are several hens, that's an advantage too, enough for each to have a few hens. But if there are just 2 or 3 hens, you might have issues, even though the roos were raised together, plus the hens may be overmated, with both laying claim to them. If you freerange, that's an advantage too, since they can stay out of each others way.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    These will probably fight. You have to think, what would be better for the roo? Can he be head honcho at your gf's home? More ladies?

I've had so many adorable roos in the past 4 years. I really wanted to keep them all. It was hard to let them go. But it had to be done. One of the roos that we really wanted to keep ended up being rehomed-to a couple that had 15 hens that needed a roo. Makes me feel better.

5. PAH111

Jul 26, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I only have one hen, which is one of the reasons I'm so worried. I've seen a fight once, between my hen and one rooster, but it wasn't to bad. They don't really seem to fight when I'm there ( they just go "Hey mommy! Do you have treats?) but I'm worried I may be missing something.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think those little Mille Fleur roos are on the agressive side.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If they're mature and you're having little/no issues, then don't rock the boat.
    However, if they're young (a few months old), then the hormones among the boys may have just not kicked in yet, and they surely will. Your pullet will suffer the most, since there will be two cockerels going after her.

8. PAH111

Jul 26, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My hen is 5 months old, the roosters are 4. I think I will end up separating them, just to be safe (and, of course, as an excuse to get another chicken.)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by