If hens eat layer pellets, what do roosters eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Robin'sBrood, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My 62 year old uncle who has always raised chickens said he keeps his on 15% grower/finisher forever and they lay nice eggs. I feed my chickens the same food he feeds his, DuMor brand. So, if I were to switch my 3 girls to 16% layer, what is my 1 boy supposed to eat - the same thing? Anyone else keep their chickens on grower/finisher forever?

Don't laugh, I'm still new to the whole chicken thing. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Although roosters do not need all that calcium that hens do, most people just feed the roosters with the hens. Some do keep their flock on grower and offer oyster shell on the side for calcium. Seems to work, as long as all the hens eat the shell.

3. I just pour the Pellets in the feeder and he eats what he wants, but when they free range he probably gets enough bugs, also I give them some bread every day for a treet, he'sfat and sassy so Ithink he gets enough to eat. Marrie

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    He can eat what the hens eat but don't expect him to lay an egg. It just won't happen.[​IMG]

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Way to funny! [​IMG]

I have always fed mine along with the hens. I cannot imagine keeping him separate just to feed. [​IMG]
    I also had a guy tell me recently to never feed layer feed. "It has to many hormones in it". I have never heard this one before. I feed Layena, it contains calcium and vitemans.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I feed all mine flock raiser with oyster shell out for the girls. There are some people (me included) who think all the extra calcium isn't good for a rooster since it can build up in their system since they aren't using it to make shells. It can cause renal problems for them. I had it happen to one of my Marans roosters. Could have been coincidence, but I haven't had anymore problems since I switched to an all purpose feed.

7. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Nadine wrote:
    He can eat what the hens eat but don't expect him to lay an egg. It just won't happen.
    [​IMG] Nadine you crack me up!

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yeah, I had a moment there!

It was a natural question and I didn't want to sound rude.
    Although, I have heard of some people thinking they had a roo only to have it lay an egg and prove them wrong. So hey, it may happen.[​IMG]

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

My roo is all boy (I've started calling him Mr. Crow), so no eggs from him.

I'm sure I have 3 girls as well... one standard BA and two bantams (Millie Fleur D'uccles) but NO EGGS from any of them. Oh well, they're just over 4 months old so hopefully I'll get an egg surprise soon. [​IMG]

10. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Another question...
    I've been saving, baking and crushing egg shells for the girls, but how do I keep my roo from eating the egg shells and/or oyster shells, since all the chickens live and eat together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by