If I am really carefull could I clean the cage?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Charlotte, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Ok here I go again more QUESTIONS!!! FOR U LOL
    Alright I want the cage to be clean for when they hatch so I though maby there is only four if I could move them onto the hot grass (it is like over 32 or more degrees today!!!
    So I thought if im really carfull my broody has hoped off them for a little while maby 45 mins they are still hot will that affect she just needed a bit of a stretch poor thing I will put her back in soon will another like 45 mins matter? The eggs are staying hot/warm she has a choise of going back on to. It is day 21 today

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    So you are asking to see if you can clean the cage before the chicks hatch? Is that right? I would not worry about it be spic and span cause it isn't going to stay clean for long. Mine alsways made such a mess so I just kept it like that untild she hatched them and then cleaned. She knows how long she can be off the nest and she may go nuts not being able to get back on, that's if she even gets up. I have had some not get off on day 21.

Have you candled the eggs? Has anyone pipped yet?

Good luck and keep updated

Lisa

3. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:No I have not candled yet:( I will keep updated I will have a look if there is any pips yet but she is still not on them is that alright?

4. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:No I have not candled yet:( I will keep updated I will have a look if there is any pips yet but she is still not on them is that alright?

If today is day 21 then hopefully something will start soon. I would candle them to make sure that they are viable. Is this her first time broody? How long has she been off of them? What is she doing?

5. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Maby an hour ago and its her 2nd time

6. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Did she hatch out some chicks last time? Was she a good momma?

Is she in a seperate cage away from eveyone else? While she is away from the nest if you are able to candle them to see if they are good.

Since she has done this before then I am sure she knows what she is doing.

7. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD

Is she in a seperate cage away from eveyone else? While she is away from the nest if you are able to candle them to see if they are good.

Yea she was a good momma she hatched 4 and there was 4 eggs under her.
    She has disserpered so she is probally at the neighboors!
    She has her own little brooder/cage Yea I will candle them if I can find me tourch.
    No pips yet

8. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA

Yea she was a good momma she hatched 4 and there was 4 eggs under her.
    She has her own little brooder/cage Yea I will candle them if I can find me tourch.
    No pips yet

Is it dark there? It should be right? I hope she comes back soon. The suspense is killing me.
    oh and I love your signature. that is so true. UGH!

9. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Yea she was a good momma she hatched 4 and there was 4 eggs under her.
    No pips yet

Is it dark there? It should be right? I hope she comes back soon. The suspense is killing me.

Ok just went down there they are warm as they would be under her!
    I was gonna candle them one was weaping I smelt the weep (vomit, VOMIT VOMIT) it did not smell to good threw it on the grass nothing happend got a hammer.....
    BANG!!! BOOM BAAAA yea oh wait (STINK KILLING ME!!!) I QUICKLY GOT IT AWAY CANDLED THE OTHERS ALL I CAN SEE IS BLACK THEY DONT STINK BY THE WAY!!!
    YUCK

10. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Is it dark there? It should be right? I hope she comes back soon. The suspense is killing me.

Ok just went down there they are warm as they would be under her!
    I was gonna candle them one was weaping I smelt the weep (vomit, VOMIT VOMIT) it did not smell to good threw it on the grass nothing happend got a hammer.....
    BANG!!! BOOM BAAAA yea oh wait (STINK KILLING ME!!!) I QUICKLY GOT IT AWAY CANDLED THE OTHERS ALL I CAN SEE IS BLACK THEY DONT STINK BY THE WAY!!!
    YUCK

I feel your pain. I had many broodies last year and in Ocober I broke my foot so I was in the coop with my crutches and the dreaded boot on and one smelled funny so I picked it up and accidently dropped it. I mean it exploded and the stink was so bad I had to put bleach in my boot and scrub my leg and thought I was going to have to throw my clothes away. It was wore than the broody hen poop.

Sounds like there is something in the other eggs.

Hope she comes back soon, but luckily u got that egg out from there. That would have been bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by