If I began incubation at night, will they hatch at night?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lshytle, Jan 5, 2014.

1. lshytle

lshytle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Just wondering if anyone can give me a more specific time then "The 28th day."

Thanks!
    Lily

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Nope, sorry.

How quickly or slowly they develop, hatch etc are all based on a whole host of factors, including the parent's health, genetics, the incubation method and duration, ambient temperatures, and more.

I've had chicken eggs incubated by a rogue hen for only a few hours a day (and not at all at night time) hatch at around the one month mark. I've had other chicken eggs hatch at the two-week mark. Most of course hatched around the day noted for most hatchings for chooks, the 21st. I don't know what eggs you're incubating but they are more likely than not to hatch on or around the day noted for that species.

It's a bit like trying to predict when a female mammal is going to birth. Some people can get it down to a fine art, most can't; the reality is that everything is influencing it all the time, so there is no guarantee. Just keep a close eye on them.

When mine reached close to hatching age, the shells felt different to me, more hollow-sounding etc as the membranes changed composition. They would float (though I don't recommend you float them) and often they felt cooler in my hands, again due to the internal changes, and then I knew they would either hatch or die trying within 24 hours. As you get more experienced you will probably notice that they feel different as they approach pipping. You can very gently tap or scratch at the shells and note which ones feel or sound different. Eggs that are still developing sound 'wetter' rather than hollower or dryer. They are also slightly hotter and may feel heavier.

Best wishes.

3. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    Nope, the eggs will hatch when they are ready. No sooner, no later. And chances are, they won't all hatch at the same time. My seven chicks that hatched took a day or so before everyone finished.
    Good luck!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've not done ducks--it that what you're hatching with a 28 day incubation time? But my chicks that hatch under a broody hen take 1-2 days for the entire clutch to hatch. The number of days incubation is just like 9 months for a human--it's an average.

5. lshytle

lshytle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks! They should be hatching very soon and I'll send pictures!

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Awesome, looking forward to it. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by