If I breed my Cochin frizzle(pic) with my neighbors BR.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nicole01, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    What will the chicks most likely look like?

I really want to breed my beautiful standard cochin frizzle Daisy with the barred rock across the street. Daisy is only 14 weeks old and the BR is around 12 weeks old, so it will be a while before this takes place. I want to plan ahead and do everything right. I need to buy an incubator as well. Both my neighbor and I want to keep the chicks. Do you think there's a chance that I will have the barred coloring with the babies? That would be neat, especially if the chick has frizzle feathers. Hubby won't let me get my own rooster, but he is fine with me hatching a couple chicks and keeping them as long as they are hens.

Here is my beautiful girl.[​IMG] She is super sweet too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Oops, I meant to post this in the breeds, genetics and showing forum.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    THAT GIRL IS GAWGEOUS [​IMG] Sorry, I'm no help-I have no idea what you'll get. Bet they'll be adorable though!!!!

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I think you'd definitely get some barring from that mating. I read that barring is passed to all offspring if the rooster is barred and only to the male offspring if the hen is barred, but the rooster is not (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). Also, she is a beatiful hen. What color pattern is she?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:She is a Colombian mixed with another color. I imagine it was an oops with the color mix, she's suppose to be one color only.lol. Daisy is no where near done feathering. She was a late starter and didn't start feathering until she was 5 weeks old. She has so many soft down feathers. I've never seen anything like her. I can't wait for her babies if all works as planned.[​IMG]

6. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    She is one gorgeous hen! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I need a frizzle like that!

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Nice! I noticed the Colombian look around her neck feathers, but the red patches on her body threw me off. I'd love to know what her parentage is; she really is a very pretty hen. I'm sure you'll end up with gorgeous chicks from her.

8. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Nice! I noticed the Colombian look around her neck feathers, but the red patches on her body threw me off. I'd love to know what her parentage is; she really is a very pretty hen. I'm sure you'll end up with gorgeous chicks from her.

I would really love to find out what she really is, but I doubt I'll ever find out. I tried asking, but no one has a clue. [​IMG]

9. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    The hens from that clutch will be nice layers :eek:) Will the Frizzle pass on to the females as well? Or just the males? I know (most likely) females pass genes onto the males, and males to the females. Interesting that the barring goes to all the chicks! I'd love to see the results. :eek:)

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I hope so! We will see. I heard people having 50% or more come out frizzled. This is my first flock, I know nothing about the genetics and breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by