1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If I buy large breed ducks....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by un-named543, Mar 30, 2012.

1. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    If I buy large breed ducks, will they get along Ok with my existing call duck herd (seven total) or will the big ones gtry to harm the calls? They will be free ranging together and sharing one kiddie pool.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The only real problem I could see is the large drakes mating with your female calls. Most ducks once they are use to each other get along fine. well except sometimes drakes can get into it but even that can sometimes be worked out if there are enough girls to go around.

3. un-named543

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Thanks; my an asian friend is hoping, since I have the space, that I might be raising some larger breed of duck for her to eat as she loves free ranging duck meat...but I would have to research and get a breed that if i fall in love with some of the ducks that they will hold up physically to be a forever pet.... kinda like the broilers vs the dual purpose breeds in the chicken world.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Pekins and Muscovy are 2 right off the top make excellent pets and also great meat birds, Pekins can have leg problems because they were made as meat ducks however many people have them for pets, Muscovies are great pets and from what i've heard are very tasty also.

5. un-named543

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota

Thanks; not that YOU would KNOW if they are tasty. I bet your Muscovies are in a forever home and loved dearly!!!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep can't imagine eating my kids.. lol

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I keep my Muscovy as well not edibles lol They are for eggs, foraging etc... The only issue is like Miss Lydia said drakes attempting to breed with any hen available to them and not only does that not work(produces mules) but Muscovy drakes can be pretty large, being rather 'to much' for a smaller breed duck.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have my Magpie drake in with my pair of Calls. They get along just fine. No fighting or anything, of course they were raised together so that probably helped.

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by