If I cant afford organic feed....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LindsaySinai, Mar 4, 2012.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    and dont have the time to make it myself...what are some good things to add to my chickens diet??

2. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Your talking about supplements or healthy snacks in addition to what your already feeding? If you are using a balanced feed already there are lots of things you can add to their diet to improve it. Things like lettuce, dandelions, BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), or oatmeal are great for them just remember that these are supplemental to an already balanced feed. Try checking out the Chicken Treat Chart for ideas.

If your thinking of the main part of their feed then you would need to do some research on mixing a balanced feed to get the right mix of protein, amino acids, and nutrients.

3. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Perfect...thats exactly what I was asking. It's funny because the first 2 things you listed are the only things I've given them besides feed. What kind of oatmeal do you give yours?? The dry instant oats??

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey

I feed my 5 girls oatmeal all the time. I give them the kind I eat for breakfast-organic plain oatmeal. I don't add salt to it when I am cooking it, as salt is really not good for the chickens ( or any bird), I let theirs cool off to room temp-they love it.[​IMG]
    Also, they are not organic feed, yet, but when I give them greens I try and give them organic greens and fruits if they aren't organic, I wash them well or peel the skin off. I figure, these chickens are making eggs for me to eat-so why not try and feed them none pesticided foods.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    During the winter

My flock gets Purina Layena. They also get a bowl of scraps daily. I have a produce stand near me that gives me all their "bad" stuff. I cut it up freeze it in baggies and then every morning I add in the kitchen scraps in a bowl, I use hot water to thaw out the produce and I add some type of warm food to it (oatmeal, warm milk, left over soup, etc). I put it in a big bowl and take it to them.

I like to think it warms them up after a nice sleep and gets them moving for the day. I only have 10 birds in the coop right now so it's not that much trouble, if I had buckets of birds I would probably just throw the produce out there and let them have at it.

In the summer I fill their feeder and toss everything cold into the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by