If I can't catch/kill the racoon - how long until I can let the flock back out?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BennieAnTheJets, Mar 1, 2019.

1. BennieAnTheJets

BennieAnTheJets Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    So a nasty little racoon ripped the head off of Dori, one of our sweet little hens...

That was about 2 weeks ago - have left the dogs out since then and they have alarmed us to the racoon a few nights and chased it around - Tuesday night I saw its beady little eyes up a tree outside our fence line

Dori was killed at 5 pm when it was still daylight (light until 6:15 or so)

Wondering how long I need to keep the poor birds in if I can't trap and kill the racoon?

Any opinions?

NewBoots and MROO like this.
  2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Stylin’ and Profilin’

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    You’ll have to get rid of the raccoon. They are persistent and will stick around and try to get in the coop. Use cat food in a live trap and set it by the coop and cover it with brush.

aart, NewBoots and Trish1974 like this.
  3. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

Unfortunately ... forever ... that coon has discovered the chicken-to-go restaurant and will keep returning at odd hours, hoping to catch the "Open" sign out! Once you catch that one, be assured that there's another waiting its' turn. Any area that supports a single coon has more there, as well. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it looks like the time has come to build/extend and cover your run.

4. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    x2

Had a horrible raccoon problem a couple of years ago.. Once they've found a food source they're going to stick around for quite a bit. Ended up catch 7 raccoons in 3 nights. Your best bet is to trap and shoot 'em

5. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Live-trapping raccoons can be a bit tricky, I'd suggest using a dog-proof duke(Raccoon) trap. I like to use 3 musketeers bars as bait, they love the shiny wrappers and the actual candy..

6. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Stylin’ and Profilin’

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    I’ll never use one of those again after I caught a skunk :lau
    Marshmellows are a favorite around here.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Can you make where your chickens more difficult for the raccoon to access?

Additional approaches not including trapping is contain dogs for release so they can get jump raccoon (assumes dogs know what you are trying to do) or you can put out a perimeter of hotwire.

The haveaheart and foothold (dog proof) traps can also be used.

I do all the above and change things up if raccoon figures things out. In most instances the dogs actually catch the raccoon(s) themselves when it fails to find a refuge. One of the recent raccoons I shot out of tree it was hiding on, but that was an exception these days.

NewBoots and A_Fowl_Guy like this.
  8. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I just dropped mini marshmallows in it. @N F C said that her husband did very well using grape jelly.

NewBoots, N F C and A_Fowl_Guy like this.
  9. MandaH

MandaH Chirping

Feb 19, 2019
    Raccoons usually sleep during the day, the problem is, that they start coming back out just before dusk which might be prior to the girls returning to the coop for the night. You could let them out and then choose a time well before dusk to encourage them to go back by using some chicken food. Me, I would probably keep them locked up for a bit and make sure I protect my girls a little extra for a week or two first.

NewBoots likes this.
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The raccoon is chasing the chickens down in the daylight?

NewBoots likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: