If I clip one wing can they jump/flap or fly 18 inches to the roost?

kayri

Songster
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
RI
I'd like to clip the flight feathers of my flock for the summer, because I don't want them to hop the fence and get into my neighbors flower beds.
If I do that will they be able to hop, flap, jump the 18 inches up to their roost/ nest boxes?

Should I cut on both sides? or just one if I don't want them to fly over my 4 ft fence?

thanks. Kay

Clipping one or both wings often doesn't keep a determined chicken in a 4ft fence. They should have no problem getting on a 18" roost with one wing clipped.

In GENERAL, younger birds and lighter breeds are more likely to fly. Heavier breeds and/or older birds less likely.

Silkies can't fly at all.

If you are really worried about them flying out, you will have to have a covered run to guarantee they won't get over your fence.

They should be able to. I'm no expert, but mine were getting out of a 4 ft fence, so I clipped one wing. Some determined ones still managed to get over, so back I went with my pruners, and clipped the other wing, too. Real short, but only the flight feathers. That kept them from escaping, and when they grew back after the next molt, they still didn't know that they could get over the fence. But an 18" perch should be no trouble.

Thanks guys, I'll start with just 1 wing and hopefully that will keep them in. I just gave them a larger area (more fence) and will move it every week to give them more area to explore.

Back
Top Bottom