If I cross a Splash cochin rooster and a white cochin hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cassidy Love, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Cassidy Love

Cassidy Love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    Georgetown Indiana
    I am buying a trio of bantam cochins and the rooster is a splash and the hens are white. What will i get?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Completely unpredictable, and each of the whites could easily give you different results. That is an odd trio. Trios are supposed to be all the same variety (or at last something that breds together such as BBS).

3. Corny Caleb

Corny Caleb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    NJ
    I'm guessing mostly white with speckles though I'm not sure. I mixed a black sex link hen too a dark Brahma Roster and and some chicks were blue with feathered legs, and other where black with feathered legs. I once herd that the boy chicks of a mixed breed will look more like there mother, and girl chicks will look like there dad's. But I'm not sure if that's true

4. Corny Caleb

Jan 25, 2014
    NJ
    If the parents have a lot of hidden genetics, the chicks may look TOTALLY different from them.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Whites ALWAYS have a lot of hidden genetics (pretty much everything except white it hidden [​IMG]) In cochins, white is recessive, so chances are very good that there will be no white chicks at all, but if there are, they will be completely white, and you will then know that the non-white dad is split to recessive white.

6. Corny Caleb

Jan 25, 2014
    NJ
    Cool, I did not know that. I did know BLUE'S have a lot of hidden genetics, But I didn't know whites do. I'm planing on mixing some Turkeys this year, so I'll see how that turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by