1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

if I did just introduce Infectious Coryza, will 1 more night matter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by princess araucana, May 18, 2011.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    yes, I just introduced a single new hen to my dear beloved 5 girls.
    No, the new hen does not show any symptoms of being sick, she was thoroughly examined, bathed and briefly quarantined.

4 days later my most beautiful, large healthy hen is wheezing with a honk and has clear watery eye bubbles.

Could this be an unrelated respiratory infection? Or is this classic coryza?

Only one is sick, are the rest to follow? Is it worth getting rid of the newbie or is the damage done?

Any advice? I am so angry, sad and ticked!

2. princess araucana

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    also any antibiotic recommendations would be helpful, especially where to get and dosage.

thank you!!!

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was told by my local state ag professor to not give antibiotics right away, it will hide the infection and you really won't know what it was which will be a problem if you sell eggs/birds...
    I would first do a saline flush. I only have eye bubbles on my girl, I haven't introduced any new birds though. I know you can flush their nose but I don't know how as my girl isn't affected there so she didn't tell me how. She also told me chickens can get sinus infections. Have you changed anything? bedding? any chance she has something up her nose? are her respirations noisy? As for removing the new hen, I wouldn't bother unless you are going to steralize everything, coop, run, feeders etc because if she does have anything it would already be spread....JMO

eta-also, giving antibiotics when not needed may make them less effective at a later date if you need them....

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. princess araucana

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    thanks klf73, I don't sell eggs or birds, they are all dear "Pets who make my breakfast!"
    Nothing else is new to except for the new hen, I've had my girls for 3 years.
    right now i'm pumping them full of scrambled eggs and vitamins....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by