if i feed my chickens cooked eggs or egg shells..

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redhen, Jun 9, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    is there a chance they will start to eat the eggs they or others lay in the nests?....thanks,Wendy

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I am sure someone will come along and say yes -- but I feed mine cooked eggs and the shells ( chopped very fine) every once in awhile as a treat and they dont bother with eggs in the boxes -- but if an egg gets cracked in the coop - some one kicks it and falls to the floor - they will all go after that egg and it will be gone in a matter of seconds.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I feed our gang/flock cooked eggs weekly and crush up the baked eggshells for the hens and they've not gotten into the bad habbit of egg eating.

Dawn

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks guys...i asked because several x's a week i make my african grey parrot "his eggs" for breakfast...and i just figured i'd cook up enough to feed my chickens also..for a treat...but was worried about them "getting the taste for it"[​IMG]..thanks, Wendy

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    dawn419..you bake the egg shells?...how do u do that?..if i give my parrot egg shells with his eggs..i just usually nuke them with the egg to make him scrambled egg..but baking them sounds like a good idea also..wendy

6. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

I throw my shells, uncrushed, into the table scraps and give it to the hens. It's natural for chickens to eat shells, they do it after their chicks hatch the same way a mother cat eats the placentas.

I've never had a chicken eat eggs.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ahh...that makes sense mini coop!!..thanks for the info:)....that makes me feel better knowing that the mothers eat the shells,[​IMG] thanks, Wendy

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Same exact thing here. They love eggs in any fashion but have never eaten a good, fresh
    laid one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by