If I Get Call Ducks As Adults, Will I Have To Clip Their Wings Or.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lcw1995, Apr 19, 2011.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    If I get a pair of Call Ducks as Adults here in a few weeks, Will I have to clip their wings when I let them out to free range with my little flock of Banties so they dont fly away.

I was hoping not because I want them to be able to get away from predators if need be. I would love to see them fly but not fly away and never come back. Will this be a problem?

THanks,
    Cole.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    i dont clip my calls wings. they fly 10-30 feet in the air but they have Never left the fenced in 6 acres. i think after maybe a year or two of being cooped up in there homes theyll know that this is home they must stay. They are amazing flyers but if you dont lock them in a hutch at night then something will probably get to them. if it worries you that much then you can clip there wings though

3. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    I'm going to try to train them to go into the coop at nnight, just like the chickens do at nite.

THanks,
    Cole.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I dissagree. My calls flew away this past Novemeber-took me three days to find them and over a week to catch them and bring them home. They will never be in an area now that does not have a top on it-big fenced in pool play area with a top! My babies broke my heart for days-

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:....

They did do this though-but thats also how I knew they were missing-they weren't quaking when I can to do lock up.. They always went in at night. They live in the barn in a run with a mini pool area now-they will go outside in the covered run when it's finished and I MIGHT let them loose if I can clip their wings-they are a piece of cake to pick up and lock up in barn:)

6. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Well if I dont get them as adults, if I do get them as ducklings, maybe ill give them to one of my broodie bantie cochins and she can raise them and teach them to go into the coop at night, and this will be there home and they wont fly away? Idk if that will work but possibly.

THanks,
    Cole.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Cole,

It's instincts too. They will live with a chicken parent but their urge to fly around and stretch their wings will over take them-they will fly-maybe not far away but they will....Mine were with 3 older ducks who can't fly-to fat and not the kind of ducks that can fly LOL but I thought its a no brainer -they followed those big ducks like mommas and daddies for months. Then one night POOF just gone-no trace of the them. 3 days later I found them on the pond past the neighbors property still alive and unharmed-once thats happens-they are always going to want to do that:(
    -
    PS I hatched mine-1 year later -this month they still want OUT!!!!

8. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    So you're saying, unless I clip their wings, they will most likely fly away? They won't fly South though will they?

THanks,
    Cole.

9. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

when mine were 5 months old i let them out of their nite pen (which they had lived in for 3 mo) by into their very large chain-link fenced in free range area , they B-Lined it straight across the yard right over the 8 ft tall fence... by the time I ran across the yard and was yelling at the DH they were NO WHERE in site and the surrounding area is brushy/woodsy..... long story short, we DID find them after about 20 min and the next day i had their wings clipped.... sccared the crap outta me. Now Im a believer in wing clipping..

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:The back-up has arrived!!!! [​IMG]
    fly South? No I dont think they could do that-they are too little and don't have that kind of stamina or wing span for such long trips-but they will take flight and fly small distances at a time. I used to think it was cute that when I pulled in my driveway-they would take flight from across my yard and land right infront of me-cute cute cute-it's not so cute anymore if it means Id lose them-they reeally are my three little amigos and I would be heartbroken to lose them:(

HATTIGAN-how did you clip their wings? do you have a tutorial you followed? I have to clip mine very shortly-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by