IF I GET DAY OLD CHICKS WILL THEY BE ALRIGHT IN CHICKEN BARN

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueseal, Feb 10, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Ilive in maine. do u think they would be alright in a tall box with light on them. or maybe still to cold.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I vote "too cold." You have to keep them heated to 90 degrees. I'd be poppin' breakers right & left, if I tried to maintain that temp.
    (I live in Michigan).
    Try the basement or garage...someplace you don't mind having coated with unbelievable quantities of chick dust - (cough, cough, hack!)
    And have fun! [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They can't be in extreme weather like that unless they are fully enclosed and heated to 90 degrees. They should not be out there in that weather until they are FULLY feathered 12-14 weeks probably.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Too cold, and if your light bulb burns out they'd die fast. [​IMG] Mine aren't slated to arrive until April and then they will go into the basement. I'm in CO, so it's cold here, too.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I am waiting til late spring to order mine. Way too cold right now for me to even feel ok about them being shipped.

6. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Id say its probably too cold up there to have chickies out in the barn....im waiting til march or april however aginizingly hard it is!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used an incandesant bulb or heat lamp in my brooder. The main thing is Temperature. For the first week 95 degrees and reduce it 5 degrees each week. When they are babies. the bright light doesn't seem to bother them, they eat, drink and sleep whenever. I put a wireless digital thermometer in the brooder so I could monitor the temp. I kept my brooder in the barn and on really cold nights I covered it to keep the warmth in. There is a picture on my BYC Page.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Absolutely too cold. You'd probably lose them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by