If I get fertile eggs to put under my skittish unfriendly broody hen, will the chicks take after her

Sire12

Songster
Aug 29, 2016
Northern Ireland
I have one hen that has been brooding for 5 weeks I hoped she'd stop after 21 days or so but she hasn't, I'm considering getting her fertile brahma eggs for her to hatch but the thing is she is at the top of the order and can be mean to the others and a bit of a bully, she's also the only one who won't come running at me and eat out of my hand and definately won't get close enough to let me pet her or pick her up, so if she hatches out chicks will they inherit these characteristics from their mom if I let her raise them? She's a black star I think

I have one hen that has been brooding for 5 weeks I hoped she'd stop after 21 days or so but she hasn't, I'm considering getting her fertile brahma eggs for her to hatch but the thing is she is at the top of the order and can be mean to the others and a bit of a bully, she's also the only one who won't come running at me and eat out of my hand and definately won't get close enough to let me pet her or pick her up, so if she hatches out chicks will they inherit these characteristics from their mom if I let her raise them? She's a black star I think
I would Not set her after 5 weeks for health reasons plus 3 more weeks to hatch is a long time. Do you realize/know it only takes 3 days to break Most broody hens----if I do not want my broody hen to hatch---I break her as soon as I know she is broody----then they are usually back to laying in a week or two.

Chicks hatched by a hen will do what Mom teaches some----if Mom does not want the chicks close to you---she will call them away. If you want real friendly chicks, its best to handle them a lot in their young days. You would have to take them away from a broody as soon as they hatch and hand raise/brood them if a unfriendly broody hatches them. Now if you got a real friendly hen that will allow you to play with her chicks----that's a different story. I do not play with my chicks so I allowed my many broodies to hatch them in great numbers----72 broodies in 2015 alone with about 700 chicks hatched from them. Have Fun!!

Back
Top Bottom