If I got an Aracauna rooster would I get blue/green eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DDRanch, Jun 28, 2008.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Not from the rooster of course. But, my one aracauna hen is quite old and I love getting blue/green eggs from her. I have been thinking about getting a rooster....so, if I got an americauna rooster, and let one of my broodies hatch a batch of his fertilized eggs, would the new hens lay the blue green eggs?

This kinda sounds like a stupid question as I re-read it.....but does an americauna hen have to have 2 americauna parents to lay blue/green eggs?

Thanks for the input.
    Anne

BTW, is is americauna or aracauna for the blue/green egg breed?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have no idea but would love to know the answer.

3. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Well it is spelled ameraucana or araucana if you are talking about the pure breeds if you are talking about the Easter Eggers which are mixed breeds then yes most likely the pullets will lay the colored eggs but maybe someone with more expereince can elaborate.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

BTW, is is americauna or aracauna for the blue/green egg breed?

Actually, Ameraucanas (note the spelling) lay blue eggs or in the blue family, some blue-green. Araucanas lay blue eggs, too, so both breeds do. However, most people have Easter Eggers and not either of those breeds and if that's the case, you may not get any chicks that lay blue or green eggs, but brown. If a breed with the blue gene is bred to a brown egg laying hen, you will most likely get greenish eggs. I hope I said all that right; if not, one of our knowledgable people will help us out, I'm sure.​

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Thank you. So, then is the Easter Egger a breed of chicken?
    Anne

6. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    No not really it is a mutt really but if you get them from a hatchery that is what you will get.

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I am new here and really still learning about breeds and such, but I can answer this from experience right now. We have a EE/Silkie cross hen that has just started laying. She lays small blue/green eggs. Our other just aquired silkies are laying about the same size egg, but with a faint off white tint. My girlfriend in which I got this EE/Silkie cross hen says all her crosses this way lay the same color and size egg. This hen is sure a much sweeter hen then our straight EE's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by