If I Hatch Egg from This Hen, Bred by Delaware Rooster, then...

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
...what will I get? Will it have barring like my BR/BBS Ameraucanas crosses?

June is an Easter Egger (from breeder working on Salmon color, but had Blue Wheaten also) who lays a jumbo green egg.
DCP_4377.jpg

If I cross her with Isaac below, what do you think the kiddos will look like? Just curious. Usually, I cross my BR roo over BBS Ameraucanas to get Barred Easter Eggers and those all lay green eggs. Crossing a Delaware is completely new. Will there be any barring on the kids from this cross?

DCP_4239.jpg

I crossed my Delaware rooster with an EE hen which was more red then your hen. I'll try to get pictures of parents and offspring tomorrow, but I would describe the offspring as Delaware looking with a bit more smut, some of which is reddish/brown rather than black.

This may not be quite what you had in mind because of the penciling (or whatever) in mom, but here are some pictures.

First, Julio, Delaware Dad. He's about 8 1/2 months old. He's also fathered a few Delawares, I plan to post pictures in the big Delaware picture thread soon.

13544_julio.jpg

Easter Egger Mom. She's a feed store purchase, no idea what genetics she has in her. She is on the wild side, flew into snow rather than let me pick her up today, but a very good layer of green eggs.

13544_ee-mom.jpg

Next two are of a female offspring at about 14 weeks.

13544_ee-pullet1.jpg

13544_ee-pullet2.jpg

And, the male offspring at about 14 weeks.

13544_ee-cock1.jpg

13544_ee-cock2.jpg

Yes, those are red feathers coming through. I think the silver in the Delawares is incompletely dominant.

Anyone interested in Julio or his EE mix male offspring is welcome to them! Julio has never been aggressive and takes good care of his ladies. But, now that he has produced offspring I will use those for breeding if I attempt to do anything with Delawares. The male offspring just started crowing last week, no idea, of course, whether he'll throw the color egg laying gene.

Back
Top Bottom