If I move coop while free ranging...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kmpcfp, Jan 4, 2017.

1. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    I need to relocate our coop about 100-125 feet. Do you think they will find it if I move it while they are free-ranging? (They always stay within eyesight)

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unless the move will take it out of the line of sight from the old location (ie around a building, up or down a hill, etc) you should have no issues - if you are concerned you can always move the coop and then call the flock to the new location.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Is moving the coop while they are in it feasible? Can you lock them up somewhere while you move it then leave them locked in the coop for a few days after you move it? Can you move it in stages, say 15 or 20 feet at a time every few days?

You may have no issues whatsoever, especially if they can see it or you move it in stages if they can’t see the final location. They may try to sleep near the old location. If they do, can you catch them at night and move them? A bigger concern to me is where will they lay their eggs. I think that maybe where it is more beneficial to leave them locked in a few days.

I don’t know if you will have any issues but where they sleep and lay eggs would be my concerns.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Chickens are very curious and will all be hanging around as things get moved......Nosy Nellys they are........They will be in your way and the Coop move will be exciting to them.....

Cheers!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    RR asks some good questions and makes some good points and suggestions.

They may 'find it' and check it out....but still may try to roost or lay at the old location, am picturing this and chuckling.

Time will tell.....you may have to coop them up for a few days to 're-home' them to the new location.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think they will find it. To be sure, go out about the time they roost up. Take a long stick with you to tap the ground, and get on the far side of them and the coop. Just tap the ground and say "hut", move towards them slowly just until they move away from you toward the coop, then stop. When they stop, again move slowly. Once then get close to the coop, they will figure it out.

7. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    So I finally got around to moving the coop to its new location while the girls were out. They could see it where they hang out, but when it came to dusk they were panicking at where the coop used to be. I ended up opening the garbage shed and 6 of them went in there, so I moved them to their coop. One I was able to get from under the shed. The last one kept getting spooked and ended up 12 feet up in a holly tree, which was fun trying to get out last night.

The coop was moved to the other side of the driveway... And these chickens apparently do not like to cross the road.

This morning, when I let them out, they ran/flew straight back to the old location, and are now hiding under the shed because it's raining.

They are pullets and have not started laying, nor have they developed nosiness.

Probably need to keep them locked in for a few days, right? Or finish the fencing on the run so they can't escape.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hahaha!! Sorry...fickle chickens.....SMH.
    I'd lock them in the coop for a couple days, while you finish the run, then leave them confined to run a for a couple more days.
    Or not, up to you.<shrugs>

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :thumbsup That's what I'd do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by