If I paint my chickens nails

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenSearcher, Nov 15, 2010.

1. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    will they love me forever?[​IMG]

I want to find a way to mark the birds so I know certain facts or conditions about them by sight. I would stay with the dark colors, black, brown, yellow maybe dull green. I know to avoid red, pink or even orange because of picking, . I would think that painting a nail or 2 shouldn't cause a picking issue, stink eyes. yes.

If someone else has tried this and has a comment I would like to hear it. And I already know I am weird.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I saw a youtube video a long time ago where some kids had a tame Barred Rock rooster standing on the coffee table in their house. The roosters toenails were painted red lol. But the funny thing was when one of the kids told the rooster to crow...and it did! Albeit a funny weak sounding crow lol. Funny video!

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm guessing there's a reason you don't want to color code leg bands instead? it'll definitely take some work to keep up that system, but it could be part of your weekly bonding time... you know, just you and each chicken, one on one, dishing the gossip while you paint her nails [​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm not sure. However, I slammed by thumb in a drawer once and as a result had a black spot on my nail. Whenever I went into the run they all focused on that spot trying to peck it. Perhaps they thought it was a bug.

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Their nails grow out quickly so you would be spending a lot of time painting nails. You would be much better off getting colored leg bands.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Like this?

[​IMG]

7. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I was feeling fancy a couple of weeks ago and went out and bought new burgandy nail polish. The next day I was trying to tie the apron onto my run and the chickens would not leave my nails alone. They kept pecking at my fingers over and over until I put some gloves on. I would kind of be worried that they would do the same to each other.

8. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

They don't care. The nail polish wears off VERY quickly. But it was fun!

9. sablevulpe

sablevulpe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Andover, MN
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. jacobsenbd

jacobsenbd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Colorado
    I actually painted the nails of one of my Buffs. I used a lighter blue polish so it wouldn't stand out so much as I was afraid of the others pecking at it. I only did one foot though. [​IMG] I wanted to be able to tell her apart from the others and I didn't have anything else on hand to tag her with. She was having a problem with one of her legs and I needed to know who to grab off the roost for examination.

The polish wasn't an expensive brand and it has stayed on for almost 2 months now - there is just a little left on one of her nails. The other girls didn't mess with it at all. It definitely worked for short term use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by