if i pop some eggs under my cochinill she hatch them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dylon, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Dylon

Dylon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    I have one Cochin who sleeps in a nest box at night. ( I know that's not good but the one she sleeps in isn't one the others lay in and she won't roost up with the others so I just let her do it) she never lays in that box but every once in a while she lays one there. I think its an attempt to raise some chicks so I wondered if I put some eggs there, does anyone think she might hatch them?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unless she stays on the nest 24/7, except for one outing a day for a few minutes, she isn't broody and she won't hatch eggs.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    A hen will only hatch eggs if she is broody. When my hens get broody they will sit in the nest box day and night whether there are eggs to hatch or not. It is a hormonal state that we cannot control. A broody hen will only take short breaks from the nest box to eat and drink. When you find a broody hen in the nest box she will often fluff up her feathers and make a sort of growl sound. Cochins are a breed that goes broody more than average. When you notice the broody behaviors described, then she may incubate and hatch eggs.

4. Dylon

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    I think she is trying though. I just didn't realize it yesterday and took her egg from the box.
    Also, I thought they started to sit on them after a few accumulated.. like when they thought there are enough eggs in the nest to raise

5. Dylon

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    Hmm. I understand what your saying though. I might just try it with a few golf ballls and see.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Well it doesn't hurt to try and see how she behaves.

7. Dylon

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    She is eyeballing them closely. She go in to check on the golf balls often during the day like " who put their eggs in HER box" :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by