If I put Guinea fowl eggs under a broody Silky...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oblio13, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    will she hatch them? Or are chickens programmed to get off the nest if nothing happens in 21 days?

2. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I have had hens who refused to get off a nest when their eggs did not hatch, so I don't think they are necessarily programmed to stay on it 21 days only. That might vary from hen to hen, though. I also had one hen that abandoned her nest about halfway through, and I had to move her eggs to another hen that happened to be setting, luckily. No roosters these days, so I don't have to worry about eggs under them anymore....now I will have to worry about how to break them up when they go broody!

3. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I've never owned silkies, so I'm not sure how hard of sitters they are, but I do have a game hen sitting 16 guinea eggs right now and have used them in the past with no problems. I know both games and buff orps usually won't leave a nest without a hatch. I had a buff orp very nearly die once when she sat a found clutch of eggs in the woods. She had been missing for a couple of months and I stumbled upon her in the woods sitting on a clutch of stinky, rotten eggs. I've never seen a hen as thin as she had gotten down to.

I bet your silkies will hatch them just fine.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, I guess it's a moot point. I now have three broody Silkies, and they keep stealing the eggs back and forth from each other. All three are sitting between a couple bales of hay, and I have no doubt that if one gives up too soon, the others will take over.

I'm going to wait until day six and add a few Silkie eggs under them, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by