if i realse my duck, will it come back next year??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Nov 4, 2009.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    me and my dad have some, well 5 ducks that live in a 12x12x8 habitat

anyways i want to get more from a hatchery and my dad said yes but anyways ~again~ if i raise the new ducklings until they're adults and let them go to migrate, will they come back next year....some with mates???

the breeds of ducks that we got from the hatchery were

buff
    khaki campbell
    blue swedish
    black east india
    and mallards [​IMG]: bun [​IMG] [​IMG]

OMG PEOPLE IM NOT REALEASING THEM JUST TO GET MORE!!!! JUST A QUESTION DONT GO ALL CRAZY !!!!!!

AND ITS NOT LIKE I DONT WANT THEM, I LOVE MY DUCKS !!! CHILL

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The odds of them making it in the wild are next to none. All but the mallards are domesticated and don't migrate. They more than likely will be some other critters' supper.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  3. barredrockmama

barredrockmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    I agree, if released those breeds would be coon food. We had mallards that flew off in the winter when I was young, but I think we only had one that ever returned.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I honestly doubt they will migrate. You're stuck with em. thell stick around. I mean you might end up with a wild drake or even a hen comming around but i doubt youll have them fly off.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I didn't think Khaki Campbells even flew. Mine don't

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The only ducks that you listed that can fly are the Mallards. All the rest will more than likely die, and it is illegal to release domesticated ducks into the wild. The Mallards may also die because they are used to having their food provided for them, not having to go look for it. If they do survive, their chances of coming back next year are next to nothing.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    most of your breeds don't fly... you can not release domestic ducks into the wild and expect them to live for very long... they wouldn't even make it a year. to release your birds into the wild would be down right animal cruelty. it would be like throwing a three year old child out into the woods and expecting it to come back next year unscathed... it's just not possible.

ducks are a long term commitment. if you are not up to keeping them the 6-10 years they can live, it's best to rehome them using craigslist or here on byc. but rehoming your ducks just to get new babies is not, well, responsible. if one is not responsible to care for the ducks they currently own, getting new ones is just plain not right. I hate to be harsh, but it breaks my heart to see domestic ducks out in ponds and dumped in the wild because they've grown up and careless owners don't want to deal with them anymore....

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Summer of 1981 I lived in east central Indiana. There I met a farmer who dedicated part of his farm to wildlife. He had a little man made pond/lake that looked like it was in a total natural setting surrounded by woods on all sides. It was a significant part of his acreage. The large pond was stocked with fish and then he had mallards that lived there. Early on he had a pen for them and he made natural looking nests for them not far from shore, but far enough that the coons wouldn't swim out to them. He told me that he started out with a group of 8 to 10 and that after a couple of years he decided that he would let them go in the early fall. He said that three or four of them came back with mates the following spring and that after they reproduced, the group continued to keep him stocked in mallards. Those ducks would fly around the countryside and in the evening you could watch them all fly back to his little pond and some of them would come to stay in an enclosure that he would lock up against predators each evening. It was pretty cool. Wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by