If I showed you this rose comb...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Time-Out, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Would you say it's a male?

[​IMG]

Sebright 3w2d old

The pic has come out smaller than I expected. Give me a shout if you'd like a bigger one.

ETA: I have peas on my mind [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I would say No, looks more girly to me, but could you post a profile pic of the chick please? It hard to tell from that angle. looks a little pinky but not red. My boys comb started growing fairly early while the girls stayed relatively flat both sexes turned a little pink just the size difference was all I had to go on. Until of course the girls got to POL then they got redder but still stayed small.

That being said One girl has a small wide comb, the other a thin comb so its really hard to tell! My Rooster at this point, his comb is so big it falls over his eyes its huge!

Well reading this over to myself, If there was ever an indecision , this is it! Boy, no help at all huh! [​IMG] but a profile pic would help alot! LOL

3. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    3 weeks is still kinda early to say whether its male or female. My current guess is female for now.

4. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Lol thanks for your help. I have been keeping an eye on combs, as I read somewhere on here that you can tell quite early on for Sebrights. I know they're still REALLY young and there's nothing more frustrating than scrolling through pics of ridiculously young chicks when asked to sex them...

Last night I actually compared combs and had a horrible sinking feeling. Another clue, might be the fact that's he's the most cuddly, and that seems to be the way with roos.... they tug at your heart-strings right from the beginning. Perhaps it's a survival trait they've picked up. Who knows [​IMG]

Here he is from the side:

[​IMG]

He kept trying to peck the phone, so all I was getting was blurry close-ups. I flipped him over and he was quite happy lol. (Hating this 'he' business [​IMG])

Here is his sister's comb:

[​IMG]

You give me some hope, though, Sandy! I had been thinking it might be worth getting rid of him as early as possible, so I don't get even more attached, but now I'm thinking....

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I wouldn't give up on the chick yet! I still wanna say girl but in a week or so you should know more.
    You so right! Every single chick that has chosen me all has been a Roo! The girls all seem to be more aloof but eventually warm up. EXCept My Uno girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by