If I survive raising three boys I think I'll be happy!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by luvmychicknkids, Apr 1, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have three of the most amazing, intelligent, beautiful, wonderful sons on the planet. That said, raising them, essentially alone, is hard sometimes. Recently one of our teachers was rushed away from the school and diagnosed with bacterial meningitis......bacterial is the deadly kind. Thankfully it looks like she is going to survive but will not return this school year.

Anyway, my oldest son (he is 11) complained of a sore throat this morning but it seemed very minor so he went to school. By this afternoon he was extremely lethargic, running a fever of 102+, mild headache, slightly dizzy and nauseated. ALL symptoms of meningitis. YEAH, he was missing the important ones...stiff neck, actual vomiting, severe headache....but I panicked! Normally I handle the whole sick kid thing well (we have one who gets hospitalized with his asthma rather frequently) but I just felt terrified!!! We just got home from the ER with a child who is thrilled to have a diagnosis of strep. [​IMG] So, almost midnight and the kids are finally to bed. My poor husband just has to sit and worry alone (in Turkey) while I send text updates.

Now I can breathe and consume coffee. [​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I know how you feel, there are always those moments where panic is called for....I would have done the same thing IF NOT WORSE!!! I'm so sorry you gotta deal with that, at least he's okay! It's funny that you say "thrilled" cause that's usually not a word associated with "strep" LOL!!! [​IMG] hope it gets better for you!!! Thanks again for everything, and don't worry, you'll survive!!!

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thank you!!! [​IMG] You know, it really was hilarious!!! LOL We got in the car and the poor little sick thing said "Oh mom, I am so happy I have strep" and I got all teary and agreed. Anyone witnessing this would have thought we were insane!!! [​IMG]

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Aww, I hope he feels better soon! Ahh coffee, now I want some![​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    poor baby! hope he feels better soon! [​IMG]

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Good for you for taking him in to the ER and not waiting. My step son had meningitis. His mom waited too long before taking him to the ER so now he has 65% hearing loss with hearing aids. I always rely on my motherly instinct [​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Coffee is a HUGE part of my nightly (insomniac's) ritual. [​IMG] Kids go to bed at 8:30, coffee gets started and I have at least 2 cups. [​IMG] Ahhhhhhhhh coffee is more important to survival than water or oxygen. REALLY!!!! LOL

8. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Quote:Anyone who has kids would know you are not insane!! Whew!! I would have been scared too. Sorry he had strep , but glad it was nothing worse. I think the most sick feeling in the world is when you think something is wrong with your kid or they get hurt!!
    Now will you be able to sleep at all tonight? LOL

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks so much guys!!!!

Quote:That was what scared me. I was going to wait and take him to our doc in the morning. After turning his light on and touching him like 10 times I finally said "get up and get dressed, I can't do this". [​IMG]

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Anyone who has kids would know you are not insane!! Whew!! I would have been scared too. Sorry he had strep , but glad it was nothing worse. I think the most sick feeling in the world is when you think something is wrong with your kid or they get hurt!!
    Now will you be able to sleep at all tonight? LOL

LOL and what do YOU think the answer is to that????? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by