If I treat for leg mites would this be best?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jul 5, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Would it be best to use newspaper under my hen after I put petrolium jelly on her legs. I thought this would cut down on the amount of dirt that gets stuck to her legs. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions. How often should I put the petrolium jelly on her legs and feet?

2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    bump

3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    trying again.....bump

4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Quote:Index » Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures » treating leg mites in volume update..problem toe

Hi-I'm trying to put a link for you here. I hope it works.

I'm sorry-it doesn't work. The paper will be too slick for her to stay on.

I so wish I could have gotten the link to work I am subscribed to. No offence to BYC but I have a very difficult time making anything work like it is supposed to.

If I had a few extra hours I could get it to work. Sorry. It has a lot of good info.

link doesn't work?

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    This is what the chicken expert professor from UCONN told us to do (outdoors):

Dip the legs in gasoline for 45 seconds. Gasoline is very drying. Let them air dry. Slather them in Vaseline and repeat procedure in 2 days. For the days in-between, you can slather the legs in A&D ointment twice a day.

I would not use newspaper. It's slippery and you can never be sure what is being used in the ink, IMHO.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I treated a rescue flock for such severe leg mites that many had lost toes and parts of their feet. Don't use gasoline...it is unnecessarily harsh. All you have to do is dip their legs in vegetable oil. (or any type oil) ..it smothers the mites. You can do this every fews days for two or three times depending on the severity. Put some seven dust out in their pen/coop to debug it. Dirt will probably stick to them for a bit but it will eventually come off. No big deal.
    sharon

8. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks for all of your help I wil try some of them.
    Red and Snowy say thanks too [​IMG]

9. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Quote:Old timers have often advised us to use Kerosene on the chickens and their coop. It just seems a bit extreme, dangerous and harsh on their little legs to! Besides 45 seconds is a long time to try and hold a birds legs in a bucket!

10. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Have you ever gotten gasoline on your hands? It doesn't burn, but it's extremely drying, and dries quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by