If I want colorful eggs....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by XilverAngel, Jul 11, 2014.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    What breeds of chickens should I look into? We currently have some tan egg layers and one lucky olive egger, but I've always wanted to see blue or darker colored "chocolate" eggs or others. Which breeds of chickens lay interesting colors of eggs?

Thanks!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    EEs lay all different colors so I would look into them. Marans and welsummers are known for dark brown eggs. Ameracanas and arcanas lay bluish eggs. Faverlloes lay pinkish eggs.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    For dark brown spotted eggs try Welsummers. Chocolatey color - Marans. Blue Ameraucana, cream legbars.
    Google 'Hendersons chicken chart'. It will give you a wide variety of breeds and they color of eggs,

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Crowing

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    X3 on the Welsummers! They are my favorite breed right now (have to say that cause I'm sort of fickle about such things). We have 2 hens that started laying and the eggs are darker than the Maran eggs I've had and they lay really well. Very pretty too, both sexes.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  6. Chickenlove64

Chickenlove64 In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    My favorite colorful egg layers are Easter Eggers. They'll give you green, blue, pink, and sometimes multi colored eggs [​IMG] I also love their laying rate - 4-5 a week. My easter egger usually gives us 4 and they're medium-large-extra large eggs :D

http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Easter-Eggers-B145.aspx

EDIT:: I re-read your post and I saw you wanted darker/chocolate eggs XD
    So far, I've found 3 that lay those eggs. If you get any, I would love to see the color! Maybe after that I could convince my mom to get some XD Love the chocolate colors

1.) http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Welsummer-B108.aspx - Welsummer's
    2.) http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Penedesenca-B146.aspx - Penedesenca
    3.) http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Marans-B71.aspx - Maram's

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the colored eggs.

8. Chickenlove64

Chickenlove64 In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    I love my Easter Egger [​IMG] When we got here, she was the last of 3 chickens. Don't know what happened to the other three. The people who moved out just left the poor hen :/
    After we finished moving in, she really warmed up to us and started walking around us and hopping onto the backs of our chairs when we were outside [​IMG] We named her Goldy [​IMG]
    Then, we got a few more chickens for her to have friends. She hated them at first, but now she never wants to be alone! [​IMG]

It took a while for her to lay her first egg. When she did, I was so surprised it was blue! Then, after doing some research, I read all about EE's [​IMG]

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    How many EEs do you have now? Maybe you'll get a variety of colors. My granddaughter's favorites are the pale pink eggs.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The darker and speckled egg are Welsummers. Green were Easter eggers of some sort. Pinkish with white spots was mixed breed hen.

Easter eggers are a good bet for varied colors. If you want blue, go with Ameraucanas, Isbars, cream Legbars. Dark eggs are from Welsummers, Marans, Barnevelders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: