1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If I want my hen to brood her eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrestonSloan08, Aug 4, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Ok so finally one of my chickens layer in the nest box!! If I want her to start going broody do I just leave it there!? And she will lay more to have with it?

2. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Anybody?

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    They don't go broody at request. When she refuses to leave the nest for days on end, that is when she can have eggs to set. If you leave eggs there without her being broody, they will just go bad.

4. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    If she just laid her first egg, she is NO WAY near broody time, its gonna be a while before she wants to sit on eggs.

5. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    No she just layed the first one in the box!! She has layed more on the ground!! So when she decides to set on some eggs, she will go broody befor she lays them all? But for some crazy reason my white leghorn( that has never laid eggs sence I bought her) is setting on my silkies egg, and will not let me touch her! Is she broody on my silkies eggs?

6. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-2.html

A
    broody hen will pluck her breast feathers, will puff up and growl at you (usually) if you try to take the eggs from her, and will refuse to leave the nest to do anything other than get a quick bite to eat and poop. Sounds like your leghorn is going broody.

There is no telling when they will go broody - they will decide that and there is nothing you can do to force it. Some go broody a LOT (silkies for example) - and some will never go broody. Depends on the chicken. You also need to have a rooster around if the eggs are going to hatch. I've seen people ask - so just putting it out there.

If you are just trying to get her to keep laying in the same box, leave an egg or two in there - or put some plastic/wooden eggs in the box. It may entice her to keep laying there. For some reason, many seem to think that if there is an egg already there - it's a better place to lay "my" egg. Some hens wait in line for a box that is in use even if there are avilable boxes open - just because there is someone already in there.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    So when she goes broody does she lay the eggs befor or after?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by