If i was to start hatching and seeling chicks what breeds should i do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moomoodiddy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    ?????????????????any ideas????????????????? thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I really think it depends if you want to do quantity or quality. If you want to do quantity sells I would recommend a popular breed like RIR or BR; red or black sexlink are also great because you can sex them at hatch. If you want to do quality then find a breed you really like and focus on getting really nice show quality stock and go from there.

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Swedish Flower Hens [​IMG]

4. moomoodiddy

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    hmmmmmmmm...quantity or quality i was thinkin silkies what do yall think, i have never heard of swedish flower hens googles it and they are adorable i dont think there are any around here, so do yall think silkies are good start offf? thanx!!!!!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Silkies are something you are going to want to go with quality rather than quantity. There is already plenty of competition for Pet Quality Silkies.

6. seramachick8

seramachick8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    It depends on whether you want bantams of not! If you don't care I would highly recumbent the d'uccle breed!!!!! They are so beautiful and friendly and fun to raise :) Here are some pictures of the different colors..

Mille Fleur

[​IMG]

Mottled

[​IMG]

Porcelain

[​IMG]

If you don't want bantams Ameraucanas are always a good choice!! :)

7. moomoodiddy

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    thanx u guys i thimk i have made my mind up on silkies what colors do u think people would go for or do yall think blue laced red wyandottes would be better

8. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have bought eggs from some people to hatch and sold pet quality silkies and blue always seems to sell the best. Wyandottes are beautiful too.

9. seramachick8

seramachick8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    Blue laced red wyandottes sell so fast! People really love the unique coloring. I've seen eggs go for $10 each on ebay! Silkies are so cute and friendly though. It all depends on what type of bird you are wanting. :) and if you decide on silkies I love the blue and the partridge colors

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Are you interested in breeding ornamental birds, or for eggs? Or just what might sell the best? How much room do you have for breeding? Show quality or just average quality?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by