1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If I were to get into raising fowl as my career what would be....

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by lcw, Jan 23, 2010.

1. lcw

lcw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    Ok this is kind of a weird question but if I were to get into a career of raising fowl and that would be my career for life(chickens,ducks,gesse,swans,peafowl,guineas,pheasants ect) what exactually would be the best breed of each to get into selling? Like what breed would make the most money out of
    Chickens-
    Ducks-
    Geese-
    Swans-
    Excetra excetra....Sorry to confuse anyone but I think this might be the job for me.
    Thanks. Cole.

2. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am trying to figer out the same thing! Good luck to you! I will ceep and eye on this post.

Chicken Girl

3. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    For chickens raising good qualty hertige breeds like rir, plymth rocks, delaware...
    any rare breeds usally sell good
    any type of marans
    hope this helps

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    not sure. Probably meat chickens....there is a book poultry for profits you should invest in [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Unless you get into it really big time (like all the big hatcheries) hatching thousands of chicks each year, don't look to make much money at all at it. I think with the start up costs that you would be incurring you would be looking many years down the road before you would turn a profit.

6. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I think most of us on BYC would love to have a career like that, but unfortunately selling chickens and other fowl is just not very profitable. When you consider the coops, runs, feed (including treats, oyster shell, grit), medical expenses (worming, treating injuries/illnesses), etc, it's extremely hard to make more than you spend.

It's not impossible though...hopefully someone here has more helpful information.

7. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    First of all you need to ask yourself, "Is there a market for this?" We used to have phoenix (silver & golden), light sussex, BLR wyndottes, sumatras, etc. Sure they were pretty, but at the time (5-10 years ago) they were not the latest fad and you were lucky to get $5 for them. Some of the swans, peafowl, and ornamental pheasants bring HUGE prices. You have to find the right buyer if you ever want to sell them though.

Next you need to ask youself, "Will these be worth my time?" We have exhibition quality call ducks. Huge market for the good ones and to pick up a really good pair it will normally cost you over $200. They lay 6 weeks and aren't fertile that whole time. To get the good quality ones just out of the shell is tough to do. Is it worth feeding them all year just to get a few to sell? My mom loves her standard cochins. Pretty birds, but huge, take forever to mature, will take a major hit on your feed bill, and aren't worth alot in comparison to some breeds.

Third you have to look at start up costs. Peafowl, esp the rare varieties, bring really good money. They need alot of care as for worming, feed, and housing. Are you willing to put up huge flight pens and pay out monster money for initial breeding stock? Sebastobol geese don't eat alot compared to other breeds and have a huge market too. To get a few GOOD breeding pairs will take a major dent on your wallet though.

I think if you are serious about making a career of it, go work for a hatchery or huge game farm. Most of us have full-time jobs other than our birds and we are lucky to break even on the farm after accounting for all expenses.

8. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    Are there laws that need to be considered?
    Would you need to register with the department of agriculture?

I recently experimented an ad on craigslist that in 4 days resulted in 5 responses of people looking to buy egg layers for their homes.

I priced $15 each or 2 for $25 and through emails to me I sold over 15 hens through these 5 emails. I'm not looking to make it rich selling them but a few extra bucks definately keeps things running.

Now, I didn't respond to any of these people as it was a test advertisement. I don't have any egg layers that I'm willing to part with at this time but I wanted to test the market to see if there was one.

Next month I'm moving to a larger property and plan on giving this a whirl "on the side" to make a few extra bucks. The kids love it and I am ADDICTED!

9. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    I have been trying to figure this out also but lacking A LOT of cash I have to do it on the side.

10. lcw

lcw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    Ok, maybe this will be a side job for me. Maybe I can work at a hatchery or something. I would like for my career to have something to do with fowl (chickens,ducks,gesse,swans,peafowl,guineas,pheasants ect). I don't want to do anything else but work with them. That is what I love to do.
    If I can't get on a hatchery does anyone else know of a job that has to do with fowl (chickens,ducks,gesse,swans,peafowl,guineas,pheasants ect). If so let me know. Thanks. Cole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by