If I x a blue egg Roo what will happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oesdog, Sep 5, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I have a roo that is deffinately from a blue egg. My girls all don;t lay blue - He is now 13 weeks so a long way from doing the roo thing. I have another girl who has an issue with her legs and bumbles along so I don;t think she would be a good mate for him as it may happen again although they grew together and are very close. I have a young hen She is a sussex lays white. - if I gave her to him instead - when he is ready would the pullets from that matchlay white or blue????

Oesdog - I have one shot as I cannot keep the roo.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    You won't know for sure til the offspring starts laying, but I believe the likely outcome will be some shade of brown.

My sussex lay colored eggs, kind of light purplish brown; I did not know sussex ever laid white eggs.

By the way, I don't think there is any guarantee that mating two blue egg layers will produce a blue egg layer. Most blue egg layers are already cross bred so the outcome is chance.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    You said that your roo was from a blue egg. Are you asking if you put a blue egg roo and a white laying hen together then the hen would lay blue eggs? That doesnt make any sense if that was what yoh are asking lol I think I read it wrong.

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Ohh yeah, the egg color the chicken hatched out of doesnt always tell you what color eggs the hen will lay especially with blue. They are probably all cross bred anyways.

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:No - What I said was if I put the blue egg roo with the white egg hen then if there are chicks from that union is there any chance that any of those pullets may lay Blue eggs??????? Will the blue come down the generation line is what I am asking or does the blue follow only the Hen line?

I am despirate to have blue eggs and am soooo sad to find the only surviving chick I have from blue eggs ( Blue ) Is a Roooooo!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    I can;t keep him so thought if I put him to a broody when he is old enough - before I have to get rid of him! - maybe the next generation might give me a blue layer?

Oesdog - We have very few blue layers here.

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, I'm no expert in genetics but I'd say to go for it; especially if you only have one chance. What's the worst that could happen? You'd have some new chickens laying brown or white. Best case you'll end up with a blue or green layer(s). Then you know and can move on from there. Genetics can be a tricky thing, the only real sure answer is the one that's clucking in front of you. Consiter it your own Genetic Experiment. And ask yourself; if you don't try, is this going to be one of those things that will keep bugging you?

7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Does your rooster have a pea comb? If he does, it is likely that he is carrying the blue egg gene.

It is a dominant trait, so only one parent has to carry the gene for it to be expressed. If he is only carrying one copy of the gene, approximately half of his offspring will get the blue egg gene, and half will not. He could possibly have 2 copies of the gene, in which case all of his offspring should get one copy, if he is mated to a brown or white layer.

Without knowing his parentage, it's a little uncertain exactly what you will get, but it's worth playing around with. Any idea what his parents are?

8. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thing is I am not able to keep the roo so its trying to keep him quiet for long enough for him to do the Roo thing. I have to hide him - poor chap. I wish I could keep him as Blue and Omlet are really close but then she is a weak bird and wouldn;t be best to bread from sadly. So I have caroline in mind as she lays white and is about 18months old or Isobella? Who also lays white but she is about 3 yrs old. Gerty is due to go into brood I think next year properly as she tried this year but got bored. Now she sees Bertha with chicks she is all for trying again! ( Unfortunately she chose to sit on Mice! )

I just needed to know if there was a chance or not. If genetics says NO there is no point in keeping the Rood even for a while.

I will give it a go. - I wish I could keep him though if only he were a hen? - I could have been weeks away from my blue egg payer but instead I am as far from it as ever and I have to lose the Roo I love and hand hatched too!

Oesdog

9. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Sorry I have no idea as he was bought as an egg. here is a picture of Blue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He does not have green legs so I was told he is not an EE.

Oesdog - What is a pea comb???? And does he have one?

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    That looks like a single comb to me.

http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00044/id16.htm

And EE's don't always have pea combs and green legs. One of my EE's has blue legs. It's too early to tell regarding combs though (9wks; combs are bairly there). Since EE's are by nature a mixed bag, you can get just about anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by