If it crows....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Taebird, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Taebird

Taebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2012
    I have my first small flock of chicks (almost 2 months old). We've heard some suspicious crow-like sounds coming from them over the past week, and caught my favorite (sweetest and most gentle) cochin in the act of an "ir- ir- ir!" this morning. Is there ANY way it could still be a hen, or is it most certainly a rooster?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Dollars will get ya doughnuts it's a rooster. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. Taebird

Nov 21, 2012
    Aww, man! Well... thanks nevertheless for your answer! Perhaps I can introduce another cochin or two with relative ease, because they are still fairly young....

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wait until you are sure before relocating this bird. If he is indeed a rooster secondary sex characteristics should also be appearing: larger comb, pointy saddle and hackle feathers, longer flowing tail.

5. Taebird

Nov 21, 2012
    I had noticed it has a very pronounced comb, and "poofier" tail, but my other chickens are different breeds, and I wasn't sure if those could be breed characteristics... perhaps just my wishful thinking. I will hang onto him until he absolutely HAS to leave!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. sniemeyer

sniemeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    I know exactly how you feel, I've been living in denial for the past 6 months about my rooster... It's almost time to give him up. They seem to be more social and easy-going.

7. motherx3

motherx3 Out Of The Brooder

I have a rooster in with my hens, keeps prey down, also seems to keep squabbling down. I pull eggs every day and no difference in taste.
    Why not keep him

8. Taebird

Nov 21, 2012
    Unfortunately I live in a subdivision, and worry about neighbor complaints... here's a picture of my little sweetie...
    [​IMG]

9. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    Rooster, sorry.

10. Taebird

Nov 21, 2012
    Bugger... Ah, well... guess we'll be trying to find a new 'ODB' for the Wu Tang Chix. ;) Thanks for all the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by