If it made it a week... **update post #11 help please!**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara_leigh, Jun 6, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    One week ago today I got three new chicks. On Thursday one of them died. The other two are now three weeks old. My silver laced polish is doing GREAT! Very energetic, eating and drinking well, etc. My black and white polish isn't doing as well. It eats and drinks well, but otherwise it just seems to be very listless. It does walk around some, but for the most part it just stands there with its eyes closed. When it does move around, it is pretty clumsy, stumbling a lot. Tonight it fell and got stuck in the corner behind the feeder and didn't even try to get out. The only reason I noticed was b/c the silver laced chick was calling for help and I was attracted to the unusual ruckus. (don't worry, I moved the feeder so it won't happen again) When I pick it up, it just sits in my hand and doesn't move really at all, whereas the silver laced one stands on my finger, chirps at me, bounces around, etc.

Since it has made it a week, do you think its odds are good, or do you think that it will probably die also? I hope not, b/c I don't want the poor silver laced one to be left alone. It is too small to be put with my 5 week olds. I've been doing Poly-vi-sol and sugar water, the temp in their bin is perfect for their age. I can't find Sav-a-chick anywhere around here. Nothing seems to be doing any good. Is there anything else that I can do?

This experience is making me never want to have tiny chicks EVER again.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I bought some chicks two weeks ago and one of my chicks just stood there and didn't really act lively like the other two. She has perked up since then.

I am by no means an expert. This is only my second run raising babies, but it sounds like you're doing a good job with them.

One possible help: Is their food medicated? If you can't find Sav-A -Chick, maybe medicated food will help.

I hope your little one pulls through, and I am sorry you are experiencing this.[​IMG]

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    how has the sick one been eating, and how are its poops (runny, color...?)
    have you checked for lice or mites, Worms, and do you know what the other died from (IE. Marek's disease?)
    If it was Marek's anyone of them can go at anytime.... (really sorry to say that) and some go without warning.
    there is not a lot you can do but keep it issolated. try giving it some scrambled eggs with a few tablespoons of buttermilk mixed into it.
    I am really sorry they are not doing well [​IMG]

4. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    It is eating fine. I changed their food this afternoon and as soon as I put it in their bin it started eating right away. It drinks like crazy also. Poop seems fine, I haven't noticed any that are concerning to me. Most of the ones I see in there are seedy (like newborn baby breast milk poop) but solid, if that makes sense. They are light brown in color. I tried giving them scrambled eggs the day before yesterday, and they didn't want anything to do with it. No, their food isn't medicated. I don't know why the other chick died.

5. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    I give my sickly chickens yogurt with oatmeal mixed in. Make sure you are keeping your box warm enough, dry and with enough air circulation. With the luck you've had, I wouldn't get my chicks from wherever you got them from again. Is your sickly one younger/smaller than the others? When they are really small they don't move around a whole lot. I use medicated feed for the little ones too- I've raised 7 chicks and they were all strong and healthy.

6. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    The next time we will go to town is on Thursday, I'll try to get some yogurt then. Their box is definitely warm enough and air circulation is good but not drafty. If that were the problem, I think both of them would be listless, not just one. I'm DEFINITELY not getting anymore chicks from the lady I got them from.

Just now I went in to check on them again and picked up the sickly one. I held it on its back to check its vent (all good), then rubbed its belly and it fell asleep. Is that normal? I held it while it slept for about 10-15 minutes, then I put it back and it went and cuddled up underneath the silver laced chick. It pooped when I set it down, and its poop is nice and firm, white/black and brown. Normal poop. Its belly doesn't seem to be hard or anything. It is smaller than the silver laced, but according to feather growth they seem to be the same age. The silver laced was bigger than the other two from the time we got them, though.

7. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    when mine were young (and still now) if i pick them up and run their belly or the back of their head...they will fall asleep in my hand or lap.

8. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Whenever one of my girls seems a bit "off", I supplement her diet by feeding her some foods that are high in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A. She might have a nutrient deficiency, and vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins for a chickens overall health.
    Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E, which helps boost the immune system.
    If you have any of these veggies, boil them up until they are soft & chop them into bite-size pieces or mash them with a fork.
    Cooked eggs are an excellent thing to feed sick chicks. If she doesn't like them scrambled, try hard-boiling one & dicing or mashing it up, especially the yolk. Alot of young chicks are easily scared or turned off by new things. The first time I tried to give my chicks bread, they spit it out & left it lay. A couple of days later, they were snatching it out of my hands & trying to swallow it whole.
    Keep giving it a drop of Poly-vis-ol a day until you can get to the store. I hope she gets better for you soon.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had a chick similar to yours. It was eating, drinking and pooping ok and it it now doing great. It was much smaller than the other chicks and still is but going strong. I think it may be ok as long as it is eating and drinking ok.

10. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Good to know! I'm glad there is hope for the little guy. I hope he makes it, he's awfully sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by