If it sounds crazy....it probably is

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmybirdz, Mar 11, 2013.

1. luvmybirdz

luvmybirdz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    So my husband came home the other day and told me the weirdest thing. Someone he knows says our ckns aren't laying because we have ducks with them. We had 3 ducks before the ckns came. Last summer they hatched out several ducklings. It wasn't long after that that they stopped laying.

They ended up having various issues (discovered through necropsy). They've been treated and we're still waiting....

Just wondered if this was crazy or could be some truth to it. Thanks!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    My chickens, ducks and turkeys all live together in the same coop and my chickens are laying. Just sayin'.

3. luvmybirdz

Sep 11, 2011
    It did sound kinda ridiculous. Nevertheless, I figured I'd ask just in case ;-) We've been w/out eggs for 7 months :-(

4. jsp28504

jsp28504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Clinton Ohio
    Is someone in the coop eating them? I have had turkeys, guineas, ducks and chickens together with no issue.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Three possibilities spring to Monday: somebody's eating eggs, hidden nest(s) or there's something wrong with your hens.... Perhaps mites, or worms or both? (Hope not!)

Ditto. I have the same plus two geese.

6. luvmybirdz

Sep 11, 2011
    Oh, no...we did have issues that we have treated back in early January. Didn't know for a long time what was going on w/them. Had a couple kinds of worms, coccidia and lice. I was just wanting to see if this thing w/the ducks had any truth to it. Didn't figure it did though. I think it's been an ongoing set of multiple issues since last summer. I think we've had a molt, they got really stressed when the goats came into their world, and then the other issues :-(

They look and act great now but still no laying. The Dr. said she couldn't say how long it could take them to start again. I check areas where they range for possible nests and we check the coop often too. We've seen nor heard any laying behavior for a very long time. I'm hoping in the coming weeks of spring they'll start back up. I don't completely understand coccidia, but from what the vet tells me we'll never be rid of it....I worry they'll never lay properly again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by