If its going to crow...

maizey

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Deep in the heart of Dixie
at about what age will a rooster start crowing? Barred Rock in my case. I think they are all hens, but my husband likes to torment me by saying one is a rooster.
roll.png
I keep looking at saddle feathers but i don't see any pointy ones. They will be 12 weeks or so at the end of this month.

Anytime from a few days up to a year or more.

That's not much help, is it?

I've had them crow at 2 weeks (turken), 10 weeks (brahma), almost a year old (another brahma). Depends on the bird and his station in the flock, if he's not the only one.

I've had crowing at 3 weeks and some that didn't crow till 6 months But at 12 weeks, you should easily be able to tell the difference with the combs, pure and simple. Much bigger and much redder and the roos are lighter in color.

My BR didn't crow until he was almost 7 months. He is the only rooster I have, but there is another rooster in the neighborhood that we heard everyday.

i hesitate to post pics..Ive seen pics on threads that read something like this:

roo
pullet
definalty pullet
certainly roo
roo
roo for sure
pullet, no question
roo-see the saddle feathers?
my hen has feathers like that
what saddle feathers?
roo
pullet

Its either got to lay an egg or crow...i can wait... I just wondered which would come first.

Back
Top Bottom