1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If let out in a run during the day, will coturnix quail go back into their coop at night?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Scooter&Suzie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I would like to get a few coturnix quail as pets. I would most likely keep them in a small coop, or rabbit hutch, where they would sleep in an enclosed section at night. Every morning I would let them out into the run. I was wondering if I would have to herd them back in their inclosed section at night, or if like chickens, they would go back in by themselves. Also, I heard that they needed one square foot per bird - is that just for the coop, or is that for their whole living space. For example I have a 2 1/2' by 3 1/2' hutch (run included in the measurements) but the actually sleeping area is 2 1/2' by 1'. I was wondering if that could only fit two or three quail, or if maybe it could fit 5.

Thanks!

2. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see why you couldn't fit a male and three or four females in a cgae like that. They do sometimes put themselves to bed, sometimes they try to stay outside in the run on a warm night - but I started to always lock them in the coop at night because foxes would come at night and rip their legs off through the mesh of the run.

3. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    So would it be best to purchase a cage that is easy to get them back in the enclosure? As in, don't make a run I can't get in....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by