If money was no object....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheRidingLibrarian, Mar 4, 2009.

1. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    (within reason, I'm not talking diamond encrusted stuff here LOL) and your priorities were predator protection and ease of cleaning, what kind of floor would you put in?

We are converting a horse stall into our Chicken Coop, I'm reading through the posts here and my head is spinning! FYI we are in Florida, and the barn has flooded in the past during the rainy season.

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    concrete.

3. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    How tall are the walls of the stall? If they're pretty tall you could pour concrete and lift the "floor" of the stall higher to avoid flooding. Or you could use cinderblocks and plywood to create a higher floor. Either way I'd cover the floor with vinyl tile to speed cleaning(purchased at home depot for .39!)

4. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:I agree easy to scrub and sweep clean

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Concrete... and if I had a little extra left over, I would put a drain in the middle of it with the floor gently sloping (very gently) towards the middle into that drain. [​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i vote concrete also. my big coop with concrete is the easiest to clean. [​IMG]

7. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Concrete with a large center drain, would be awesome. [​IMG]

8. TheRidingLibrarian

TheRidingLibrarian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Fellsmere, FL
    Pretty unanimous huh? [​IMG]
    I was thinking concrete myself, but then thought I read somewhere they weren't supposed to stand on cement? What kind of bedding then if any, would I use?

9. the-metal-peddler

the-metal-peddler Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Yes, but I would pay Steve and Jarad to fix the barn up to make it into a coop. Then I would pay Pat to come down and QA it.

What's a little bit of money if you can't spread it around amoungest friends????[​IMG]

10. SummerwindNC

SummerwindNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Camden, NC
    I agree with concrete! That would make things sooo much easier!!! I had a 4x8 slab poured when we built this house last fall for the future outdoor pizza oven I'm going to build.....but hmmmmm, might just have to use it for the coop! But dangit I love wood fired pizza too!! Oh, what to do!!

KAT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by