1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If my chicken has Marek's....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BaGAWK!!, Dec 8, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    ...and isi showing neurological symptoms like limping and leg paralysis, and tremors in the legs and has had these symptoms for a few weeks now (3-4 wks), wouldn't my other chickens be getting symptoms also? I treated her for mites and lice the other day, which she had, hoping she would improve, and she hasn't yet. None of my other chickens have symptoms. Is this possible? CAn a chicken be exposed to it and not contract it? I have pre-laying pullets and cockerels, plus birds that are 1 and 2 yrs old.

And wouldn't she have declined a lot quicker? Does marek's always kill them?

2. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    so maybe she doesnt have mareks. in fact, its more likely she doesnt than she does. there are several things that have symptoms you mentioned - and you mentioned she had lice/mites. is that issue fully resolved?

but to answer your question - yes, more birds should show signs if it were mareks, and yes she should have declined much quicker, and no, mareks doesnt always kill.

but it doesnt sound like she has mareks to me.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Not all birds will be susceptible to Mareks. The lesser strains, which are most common, only show up in birds that already have comprimised immune systems. A good healthy bird will never show symptoms of most strains and will develop an immunity for it. There are strains of mareks that can devastate an entire flock, but those are very rare.

Some birds that get mareks and show symptoms will survive. Some that recover will have no lasting issues while others will have varying degrees of permant issues.

That said, the symptoms you describe can be from a number of issues. Mareks is one. A bad vitamin defiency is another as well as botulism or exposure to something toxic.

Matt

4. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Quote:How long do symptoms from botulism last? Would it have lasted for 3-4 wks? Just trying to narrow it down.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    BaGAWK!! :

How long do symptoms from botulism last? Would it have lasted for 3-4 wks? Just trying to narrow it down.

Botulism hits pretty quick. Recover can be fast or it can take weeks to recover if it was really bad. Even then there may be permanent damage.

Matt​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by