If my chickens eat one of their eggs, will they eat ALL of their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iBoodle, Aug 19, 2011.

1. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    I stupidly forgot to bring the eggs in today, and they fell from the coop to the ground where I am assuming my girls ate them [​IMG] If they eat just one egg, will they eat them all? I'm so mad at myself for forgetting!

Becca

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    they will get addicted to egg eating if it continues

3. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    So if I nip it in the bud and collect their eggs first thing tomorrow, then I should be good?

4. featherful

featherful Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    Hopefully it'll be ok if it doesn't happen again.

5. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    I had a pullet that would peck one hole in her egg when she first started laying. I think she did it out of curiosity and it never became a habit or compulsion. She quit after the first week. I've dropped eggs in the coop and had the hooligans attack them, too, but they never seemed to associate the slimy mess on the floor with the hard, white things in the nesting box. Maybe you'll be lucky and your chickies aren't any smarter than mine. [​IMG]

6. iBoodle

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    I really hope so, tennesseeckn! I really hope I have....stupid chickens? Haha!

I am just mad because I collected them, set them up, and what they were sitting on fell, and so did the eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by