If my girls are 22 weeks now - will I get any eggs this winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stephhassler, Nov 7, 2009.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Just read a post that said if they are just reaching laying age this time of year there may not be any eggs until next spring! I have 4 1.5 year old leghorns and only get 1 - 3 eggs from those. I think maybe they are going into a molt? Anyway, we are down to 3 eggs! And we use more than that each day. I shudder at the thought of buying store eggs. Is there any hope for the new girls or will I have to wait until next spring and eat yucky store eggs all winter? Btw, I don't use any artificial lights in the coop.

2. doubled

doubled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Madrid, New Mexico
    not entirely sure they will start to lay this winter.
    about the yucky store bought eggs, is there a farmer's market or feed store nearby that sells fresh eggs? or perhaps a health food store?

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They should lay pretty well this winter if they are leghorns and yes a light would help considerably, maybe even up their protein some and you should be fine.

AL

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have been fortunate to have eggs through out the winter. However, I think it is entirely up to the individual bird on whether she wants to lay or not. I'm sure supplementing things may give you a better chance. JMO

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is hard to say. Mine (not leghorns) are 26 weeks old and several are laying. Several are not, but how much of that is age and how much is weather and light related I cannot say. I also do not know if they will keep laying now that they have started. From reading other posts on here, I'd think you will probably get a few eggs from them but not as many as you will see next spring. It does seem to be very individual by the chicken though. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by