If my girls were hatched April 15 week, are they 18 wks or 16 wks????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by awesomefowl, Aug 12, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

AND--Should i be expecting eggs? Their combs are red, two have blood red rose combs, almost like a rooster. (!)

Thanks!

2. awesomefowl

Poached eggs are good! The first egg is for my dad!

3. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Just pulled out my calendar-if they were hatched on the 15th of April they are 17 weeks today! They could start laying anytime but be prepared to wait until they are 25 weeks old! So you may have 8 more weeks to wait. My second batch were hatched on the first of April and they have yet to lay.

4. awesomefowl

thank you!

5. jayne

jayne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Mine were hatched a week before yours and we got our first egg today [​IMG] a very small egg but still an egg..hang in there..the eggs are on the way

6. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Four eggs again today! I believe 5 of my 25 are laying. It's been two weeks now that we get 4 a day! Every day=4 eggs. Not 3, nor 5, but 4! [​IMG] The others will hopefully start laying soon!!!

7. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Quote:Congratulations! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  8. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for posting this question. My hens are 2 weeks older than yours and not laying. However, we have had horrible heat and humidity, so I understand....but I love poached eggs too!

9. DurangoCal

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    So those who like poached eggs how do you prepare yours???

10. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Quote:We picked up ours on April 10, and I think they were already a few days to a week old (Easter chicks at a local feed store).

We got our first egg yesterday as well. I think I miscalculated their age - thought they were 17 weeks but it looks like they are a little older. Either way it was definitely before 20 weeks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by