If my ringneck dove couple makes offspring, when should I take them?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by FrostyWind, Jan 19, 2017.

1. FrostyWind

FrostyWind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2016
    So I was wondering if my pair of Ringneck doves ever make offsprings at what age, week, month (not year) should I take them so I can train them and be confident, tame and ok with human contact so they won't have to share a cage with the parents and can simply stay outside knowing that they won't go anywhere, or just keep them inside on a perch free without having to go in a cage?

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I would say as soon as possible maybe a week or two

3. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    start hand feeding the babies at week of age to really imprint with them take away from parents at that age

4. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    oh cool, but if i want the parents to take care of it, how do i get the baby use to me around it? I don't think changing the cage's paper and water and food will do anything for it to get use to me? so what do i do?

Thank you

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    No need to hand raise them. This breed of dove is naturally easy to tame and will form close bonds with their owners.

Just wait till it leaves the nest... then you can start stroking it, feeding it treats, like crushed raw peanuts or millet, Once they know you have treats they will soon by flying to you and pestering you.

You will have to take the young away form the parents once they are independent, eating and drinking on their own. Usually the parents start to get annoyed with their young at this stage and you will see them pecking the young birds and pestering them to move off on their own. That is the tame to give them their own cage so they will all be happy.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some of my doves.

7. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    Awesome, Thanks for the info, really appreciate it

1 person likes this.