1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

if one is setting, will they all stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Queen Chika, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Queen Chika

Queen Chika Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    I have a hen who is setting (yay!), and the others seem to be involved in protecting her from me, but they have also stopped laying, is this normal? We have had blizzard-like conditions lately too, but I didn't know if all would stop laying when one is setting?

2. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Have you checked under your broody hen? She may have all the other hens eggs in there as well...

3. Queen Chika

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    yes, she does have all, or most of the others eggs too. They have a dozen nesting boxes, but they all seem to love laying in the same one or two.

4. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    Easiest thing to do would be to mark all the original eggs and go in and take the fresh ones from her or isolate her.

5. Queen Chika

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    There aren't any new eggs recently. Is it protocal to separate a broody?

6. KyleD.

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    No, i dont think you HAVE to but some do. I think it just makes it easier. As far as the others not laying i have no idea.

7. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:You take the chance that when she finally gets off the nest to poop, get a drink and a bite to eat, somebody else will be sitting in her place when she goes to get back on the nest. She may decide to just sit in another nest box, instead of waiting for her original spot. The eggs will get cold when the trespasser leaves and that means no baby chicks.[​IMG]

8. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I have this same problem. One hen went broody, and they all stopped laying! No additional eggs (apart from her original count) were added. So I know she isn't collecting other hens' eggs or the other hens laying in her nest box when miss broody gets her food and water. They just all magically stopped laying! I did a parasite and bug check, everyone is doing great! I swear, the broody sends out a message to the other girls, telling them not to lay when she is setting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by