if only i had found this forum before DH spent the money...(PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixxchixx, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    when we built out "coop" we werent even sure we wanted chickens (we found one wandering our street) and now i have six.[​IMG]

anyway... our neighbors have chickens, and i hate to say it, but they have a very sloppy, unsafe, sad [​IMG] "coop" sooooo we saw theirs, added improvments and spent way too much money on lumbar but here it is.

we live in San Diego, so i was more concerned with the heat than with cold winter temps. In the winter ill have DH tack up some plywood over the lattice and probably a lovely blue tarp for rain protection. right now its half covered with plywood and half with thick screening

[​IMG]
    inside the coop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cleo coming into the giant nest box "What'chu doin' Willis?"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Goldie (Queen of the mountain)

[​IMG]
    Looking into the Chicken Palace from their 90 SQFT yard
    the little chicken wire box on the left of the big house was my "grow out box" i had it placed inside the 8X8 chicken coop for about 2 weeks. now its for chicken time out if need be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the little ones getting used to the freedom of the big coop and yard

[​IMG]
    stupid waterers and baby feeder (I hate them) this will be my next project

[​IMG]
    Finally, My surprisingly POOP FREE human chair. its so nice to sit out there and watch them all be silly chickens

i know its not exactly predator proof, and they chose the large 4X4 "chicken house" (what we thought they'd sleep in) for their gigantic nest box, and i still havnt figured out a good way to keep dirt and grime out of the feed and waterers. but they are happy and healthy and seem to love the large "run" the most.
    we live in the suberbs so there arent many predators, I havnt seen a racoon in years.

I love it out there so much I want to move in [​IMG]
    what do you all think?? Suggestions, Ideas,

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Looks good to me [​IMG]

3. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    Quote:go to nipple waterer systems and pvc pipe feeders that would solve that problem

4. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    =Tofer76
    go to nipple waterer systems and pvc pipe feeders that would solve that problem

haha i built a PVC feeder and it was a disaster!! [​IMG] but I did it myself while DH was at work, he came home to find me attempting to use a sawsall and surrounded by little bottles of glue. He gave me one of those "silly girl" looks and told me he would help me do it right. so maybe next weekend. But thanks ill look into the nipple system.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by