If only love could keep him alive...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vetgirl00us, Aug 10, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    My 12 week serama cockerel "Giorgio" isn't going to make it. I'm nearly 100% sure it's Marek's. I ordered vaccine for all of my birds young or old and regardless of whether it will make a difference or if it's a waste of money.

My boy is getting weaker and weaker.....

If only love could keep him alive.....

[​IMG]

2. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I'm so sorry about Giorgio. [​IMG]

I see you're in Rome....I'm over in Canton. I think love does make a difference at least....

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am so sorry..................did you try the vitamins and electrolyte stuff?? I'm sure you did, but I had a hen that I swore had Marke's, gave her that and she was OK in a few days.....

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry. I hope he pulls through. [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Ahh, so sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I am sooo sorry and hope fervently for a happy ending [​IMG]
    JJ

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry.......... prayers for him.

8. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Hi over there in Canton!!!

I gave him Poultry Cell which is a complete vitamin supplement for birds. I gave him a B complex injection in the muscle. I gave him a vit E/Selenium capsule. I've given him a couple injections of baytril as he is now having respiratory symptoms (could be pneumonia from forcing liquids down him) and I just gave him some methylprednisolone in hopes that it will combat the inflammation of the nerves. I'm grabbing at straws here but anything I think might work that isn't too stressful on him I will try.

I mixed some gatorade with unmedicated chick starter and he is eating that quite well. That way he is getting some type of moisture and energy into him. combatting the dehydration is tough because trying to syringe feed him liquid stresses him out and makes him choke even if it's just a few drops at a time.

My Marek's vaccine should be here tomorrow. I read that giving the vaccine may cause a remission of symptoms but it will cause him to be a carrier if he lives through it which means I will have to vaccinate every bird I ever have. From what I've read, Marek's is everywhere and supposedly all birds get exposed to it at some point.

I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worst and I'll take what comes....

9. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I am also considering lysine which combats viruses that get on nerves like herpesviruses.

10. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am so sorry your Georgio is so ill -- I know you are beyond devastated and stressed and beside yourself. It sounds like you are doing all the right things... sometimes it isn't enough... sometimes it is.

My best to you both,
    Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by