If removing one rooster out of pen, how long to wait before hens eggs are no longer fertile from tha

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kraftyladies, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kraftyladies

kraftyladies The Back Acres Farm

Apr 11, 2011
    Sunny North FL
    Ok, here's my question. I have a pen of Orpingtons. I have Buffs, blue, black, lav and splash. I am removing all the buff hens and 1 buff rooster, which is one of the 2 roosters, to leave only a black rooster in the pen. How long do I need to wait before I start collecting eggs for hatching that won't have a chance at being Buff?

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

It takes three days for a hen to make an egg to lay, so I would guess about that amount of time wouldd ensure that you won't have any buffs.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    up to 3 weeks.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When removing a rooster from a flock high fertility for two weeks, moderate fertility third week, occasional fertility fourth week. In reality after two weeks most of the eggs will be fertilized by the rooster left with the hens given that he is an active breeder - there is however a fair possibility that some of the eggs will be fertilized by the 'removed' rooster.

5. kraftyladies

kraftyladies The Back Acres Farm

Apr 11, 2011
    Sunny North FL
    Thanks everyone for reponse! I was thinking around 3 weeks or so, thought I had read that somewhere on here but couldn't find it. Think I'll wait at least a month before I put any of their eggs in the bator. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by